Monday, November 24, 2008

emperor dragonfly

I found this creature sheltering from fierce south-westerly winds on the north-east side of our gate. What's amazing is that it matches so perfectly the rust and green paint on the gate, so much so that I almost walked straight past it. ... I imagine that it had been blown off-course from the Merri creek down the hill during the weekend storms. Though I have noted, with some pleasure, that despite our somewhat exposed position, damselflies and hover flies regularly visit our garden to feed on larvae of white-flies and aphids. (Perhaps, to encourage such friendly gardening assistance, it's time to incorporate somekind of water feature in the back yard?)

It is an emperor dragonfly, I'm guessing, & we were honored to have it visit.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?